Monday, June 24, 2024

Heat Wave

 I hear that some are complaining about a heat wave.  Today, we had a temp of 98F with a chill factor of 109.  Summer is upon is, and air conditioning is a real thing.

When I was growing up, we didn't have air conditioning.  We had an attic fan and a big shade tree in the back yard.  Dad didn't put central air in the house until the summer of 1973, when I left for basic training.

I asked him later about that unfortunate timing, and he said that when I left for basic, he didn't have to feed me anymore, so he thought he could afford air conditioning.

After commissioning, my first official officers' quarters at Knox didn't have air conditioning.

It's going to be a long, hot summer.  As it usually is in Louisiana.

1 comment:

Octothorpe said...

It's also quite hot here in central MS. Try to stay cool!