Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Ditches

I got down in the ditches this morning for the first time this  mowing season.  Finally, the rains have slacked off enough that I was blowing more dust than mud and the yard is mowed from the blacktop road to the front door. 

My front yard is a mix of weeds and bahia grass.  I spent the formative years of my adult life with cows and pastures, so having an immaculate front lawn has never been on my list of goals.  Grass is something to mow, not fret over.  It stops erosion and if livestock isn't eating it, it's more off a liability than an asset.

I have neighbors on either side of me who think that having a manicured lawn is a goal, and I suppose that I make them look good by comparison.

When we move into the place in November 2004, the realtor gave me a sheet of paper that said we had a Homeowners Association.  I put the word out that I would tolerate no foolishness.  I don't know if the HOA is still active, but I've never ben bothered.

But, the ditches are mowed and that is a good thing.  Belle tells me that she is trying out a new recope for lunch, so I'll sit patiently in the expectation that something wonderful is about to happen.

No comments: