Saturday, November 18, 2023

Thanksgiving

 Thanksgiving.  A uniquely American holiday.  It's upon us, coming on Thursday. I could tell you all about the pilgrims and the Indians, but I'd have to get our a history book, and do the research which keeps changing. Whatever.

Still, it is a uniquely American holiday, and it begins what we call the holiday season.  Thanksgiving was my Mother's favorite holiday and she did it right. The weeks leading up to it were a marathon planning session, with lists and oven schedules, and all manner of preparation.  It was quite a logistical flex that would make any military planner proud.

Mom is still with us, and I am grateful for that, but Belle and I have taken over the Thanksgiving ritual.  Mon will share the meal with us, and I'm expecting 25-ish for the noon meal.  Belle and I aren't as hampered as Mom was, simply because we have two ovens. And a smoker that I can crank up to 400F if we need additional oven space.

The local grocer was running a sale on turkeys so I went and looked at them.  Smallish birds, weighing 11 pounds average.  So, I bought two of then.  And a ham, and we'll have all the usual sides.

After the meal, I'll break those carcasses and put them in a stock pot, boil the leftovers to make stock, the peel the meat from the bones. The leftover turkey and stock will be saved for a gumbo that rivals the initial smoked turkey.

Which reminds me.  When we go to the grocer this week, I need to pick up rice.

1 comment:

Termite said...

I'll break those carcasses and put them in a stock pot, boil the leftovers to make stock, the peel the meat from the bones. The leftover turkey and stock will be saved for a gumbo that rivals the initial smoked turkey.

Yummm...smoked turkey gumbo...😊