Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Buying Propane

 I heat the shop with propane, and use it for the griddle and the smoker, so I have a number of bottles.  Six, to be precise.  When I get four empties, I load them in the truck and get them filled.  $23.99 for a standard 20 lb bottle, and that's about the cheapest around here.

Today, I took four bottles, and the guy who was filling the tanks told me that he had trouble with one of them.  It wouldn't accept propane.  Go figure, must be something wrong in the valve.

All the Dollar Stores around here have Blue Rhino cages out front, so the next time I go to the Dollar Store, I'll swap that bottle out.  Blue Rhino might be a bit more expensive, but they sure make bottle maintenance easy.

5 comments:

Jeffery said...

Swapping bottles may be the easiest way to get a newer bottle, but it's expensive propane if you do it regularly - if you read the label you'll see those bottles are filled to 15 lbs rather than the 20 they can hold.

Anonymous said...

go by tractor supply. the sell it by the gallon.

Bob said...

Point being even with the short fill and higher price, still cheaper than discarding old bottle and purchasing a new one. Bob in B.R.

Anonymous said...

We swapped one out that way a couple months ago, valve got so hard to turn I had to use a wrench. But we only do that to get a better tank, locally it cost's $20 to refill(20 lb). Costs more than that to swap for only 15lb.

Anonymous said...

There is a safety vslve inside the mechanism. Good idea to swap the tank!