Friday, January 15, 2021

Stippling

 Glocks, the brainchild of Gastonn Glock are ubiquitous in the law enforcement community.  Long hailed as utterly reliable, solid, dependable firearms, they were also ugly.  I'm not hating on Glock here, it's the plain truth.  A decade or so ago, folks started stippling the grips to make then easier to hang on to.  Back in the day, kitchen-table gunsmiths attacked the grip of their Glock with every known implement.  I've seen guys use Dremel tools, hand drills, and for all I know, butter knives.  

Some of those jobs were fairly horrific.  The Wiley E Coyote School of Gunsmithing was strong with sone of those folks.  Occasionally, you'd run into someone who did good work, and those guys turned their efforts into a cottage industry, picking up spare change for a stippling job.

Younger son is a cop in north New Mexico, and he sends me some photos of a recent project.  He dicided to stipple one of his personal Glocks.

The Before Shot.  You've all seen a Glock frame

I'm not sure which tools he used, maybe he'll chime in, in the Comments, but I think it turned out really nice.

The After shot.  I think that looks pretty durned good.

Yessir, that's a nice stippling job  It has a nice border, and he blended the backstrap into the pattern.  Very nice indeed.

4 comments:

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Hey Pops! I used a dremel with 3 different sized stone wheels to cut in the borders and remove the existing grip pattern. Also used a scotchbrite type wheel to remove the excess 'flashing' that cropped up as I was going. Once that was done, I applied the stippling with a common wood burner. Its no professional job, but I think it looks pretty decent for a kitchen table stippling, and that's all I wanted. Took me about 3 or 4 hours all told. I have no desire to he a 'professional stippler' but I'm glad to know now that I can put a decent grip on my own stuff. Its slightly grippier than the factory stippling, but not super aggressive.

Truth be told, I was nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs attempting this job, but I'm happy with the results!

Anonymous said...

Very nice job. Do you think it works better than skate board tape?

Gerry

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Never tried skateboard tape. I hate the feeling of sticky things on my skin, so have never been a big fan of putting something with sticky backing on things I touch regularly. That said, it is slightly more aggressive than the standard gen 4/5 glock grip.

dogsledder said...

Hey ! that looks great ! Muchos garcias (a little Spanish lingo) for sharing that. I included the Spanish lingo because new Mexico.