Monday, October 14, 2019

Red Beans

It's Monday, historically a day to do laundry.  The weather is cool and clammy outside, which screams for comfort food.  True to form, I'm doing laundry this morning.  Back in the old days, when a harried housewife was doing laundry with a rub board, or even an old wringer washing machine, she was busy.  Today, as a layabout stay-home husband, I have more time on my hands.

But, red beans and rice is still an easy meal.  In the old days, that harried housewife could walk past the stove occasionally and give the beans a stir.  It was an easy meal that didn't take much work.  Even today, it doesn't take much work.  I have two grandsons here that will get home from school about 3:00, and I generally have a hot meal ready.  Belle and I quit eating supper many years ago, preferring to eat lunch, and maybe a snack in the evening, but grandsons eat heartily.  We keep hot pockets, frozen pizza, and other quick foods available for them, but a hot meal in the afternoon tends to keep them out of the freezer foods.


When they get home this afternoon, I'll have a big pot of red beans on the stove, along with a pot of rice.  The recipe is here.

Now, f you'll excuse me, I do believe that I heard the dryer buzz.

1 comment:

Termite said...

I agree with Belle: using canned beans is cheating.

Camellia dried red beans is where it's at.........