Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Campaign Finance

I've spent all morning wading through campaign finance reporting.  I think, and fervently believe that I have met all the requirements for campaign finance reporting as required by Louisiana law.  I was running a one-man campaign, and even though I have a degree in Business Admin, it was a exercise in accounting, a subject I've always abhorred.  I know how to do it, I just don't like it.  I was never cut out to be a bean-counter.

Yet, there are ethical campaign requirements and I believe that I have fulfilled my obligations to my contributors, my voters, and the State Ethics Board.

I can't imagine what the other candidates are doing, especially those with small campaigns.  Yeah, I can imagine it.  I just went through it.  It cost me approximately $6.19 per vote I garnered in the primary election.  That might be a good estimate on what a campaign has to spend to get one vote.  So, if you are thinking about running for office, do your homework.  I ran a shoe string campaign, and if I'd had to pay rent on a campaign headquarters, the per-vote cost would have gone way up.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Job's not complete til the paperwork is done holds true in the civilian world too!

Unknown said...

I'd like to know what were the reasons why the other guy won. Was it qualifications, face recognition, who has the best winning smile...?

The voters can be fickle.

Rick