Thursday, August 29, 2019

Polling Data

The Sheriff's race continues apace, icing up steam, and I've been out and about, talking to folks, shaking hands, and making my case.  I'm running this campaign on a shoe string, with a tiny budget.  And I'm okay with that.  The campaign finance laws apply even to a local sheriff's race, and I'll have to report the money I spend.

But, somebody has money to hire pollsters, and I'm having a lot of fun with the machine polls that I"ve been getting on my phone.  Before I was a candidate, I'd tend to hang up on polls, out of sheer aggravation.  Nowadays, I stay o the phone for a few more minutes ad see if I can help the pollster with his data.

It amazes me that people today trust polls.  I recall that every competent poll showed Donald Trump lagging behind Hillary Clinton, right up until the moment that Trump won Wisconsin.

Last night, I participated inn a machine poll.  I identified as a young, African-American woman with moderate political views.  I had a very favorable opinion of myself.  I don't know which of my opponents commissioned the poll, but they should mistrust the data.  The only poll that matters will occur on October 12th.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A poll can say or prove anything the buyer wants. It's a matter of the phrasing of the question and the location of the poll. I've often proved that while working against unfair helmet/motorcycle laws. Still wish I could buy a you for sheriff hat. Good luck.
Storyteller

Old NFO said...

Hehehe, ya do what ya gotta... LOL