Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Utter Nonsense

It seems the news from the past couple of days is trying to tell me I have my thermostat set wrong.  Really.
To keep your home cool with central air conditioning while also optimizing energy efficiency (and therefore cost), keep the temperature at 78 degrees Fahrenheit or higher.
The suggestion comes from Energy Star, a federal program managed jointly by the Department of Energy and the Environmental Protection Agency that provides information to consumers about energy efficiency practices that not only save consumers money, but also improve air quality and protect the environment.
Uuuh no.  The temp at my house is set by a long and well established compromise between Belle and I.   Whether the temperature outside is 100 F, (like today), or bone-chilling single digits (which hardly ever happens in Louisiana), the temperature is set at 72 degrees.  Most times, the only thing that we do, seasonally, is slide the button to Heat or Cool.  If I buy a new thermostat, we wouldn't even need to do that.


That's where it's set, and that's where it will stay.  The Fed.Gov can kiss my butt.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Agreed! I'm the same.

Anonymous said...

You know what temperature my house is set at year `round?

A non-numeric comfortable level for my wife, myself, and our animals.

No gubmint entity will EVER have control of the environment in my home.