Tuesday, July 31, 2018

The Best Caliber for Grizzly

I've seen this story pop up from time to time, and Wirecutter is talking about it today.

For years, the world's record grizzly bear was one taken in Alberta, Canada by a native woman, Bella Twin.  She was  small game hunting with her partner and the bear got too close, so she shot it.  In the head, several times.  The bear became defunct and Bella joined the ranks of legendary hunters.

What caliber did she use?  .22 Long.  Not even .22 Long Rifle.

Seriously, the whole story is here, with pictures.

Back in the day, on the old usenet forums, someone would ask the question; "What caliber is the best for grizzly?"  I'd always say .22 Long and link to the story.  I thought I had talked about it on PawPaw's House, but I couldn't find it, so I linked it again.

Do I recommend going after grizzly with a .22?  No, not at all, but I've seen enough people shot with a .22 to know that it is one over-penetrating sonofabitch.  A .22 in the right hands will do things that you would think it could not do.  It's accurate, penetrates well, and easy to shoot. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen any 1st hand experience with the .22 Magnum ? I'm a hunter, not a LEO so have no experience of how effective the 22 Magnum is. I've seen the difference on flesh between it and the long rifle - definitely more damage. I am a confirmed fan of it.

Bill Jordan (if I remember correctly, hell getting old !) spoke of a High Standard .22 Magnum derringer and the effects of it. I just wondered if you had anything to add. Good or bad comments - I'm a big boy, I can take it.

That lady who took that grizzly with a rimfire had a lot of guts !

Jonathan H said...

I disagree with those who disparage 22 or 25 as insufficient calibers; there is a reason that for many years the 22 was more often used in murders than anything else.
But I agree that I'd rather carry a bigger round for self defense; for short range animals attacks I want as big as I can get!