Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Kavanaugh

Our President has caused the left-leaning politicians and organizations in our country to go full berserk with the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy o the Supreme Court.  I'm seeing ads in places I normally don't see ads, from organizations I don't normally see, predicting that if Kavanaugh is confirmed, women will be cast back into the 18th century, will lose property rights, education rights, and most importantly, reproductive rights.

Most of it is over-the-top.  Senator Cory Booker eve went so far as to say that anyone who supports the Kavanaugh noiation is complicit in evil.

I admit that I haven't thought much about abortion in the past several decades.  It was one of those issues that didn't affect me, and I admit that I am surprised at the amount of invective aimed at a practice that I have mixed feelings about.  Years ago, I came to the conclusion that abortion was a necessary evil, and that we should limit it as much as possible.  For myself, I believed that abortion should be available in those instances where the life of the mother was in jeopardy, and in cases of rape or incest.  Beyond those circumstances, I believe that any woman seeking an abortion was in danger of losing her mortal soul.

From what I'm able to learn about Kavanaugh, he's a good judge who has complicated feelings on the issue of abortion, which is good because it is a complicated issue.  He seems to be very good on gun rights, which is my hot-button issue.  He's a Yale-trained lawyer, which doesn't tell me much, but I understand that the entire Supreme Court is filled  with Harvard and Yale grads.  Perhaps the President should have looked for a jurist with another alma mater, but we'll leave that for later.

Kavanaugh is driving the left stone-crazy, and that's good enough for me.  Now, if Sotomayer or Ginsberg would retire, maybe Trump could really re-align the court for the next two decades.

No comments: