Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Rough-In

Sometimes projects take a lot of time in planning and you really don't see it come together for a while.  Such is this bathroom/outdoor kitchen project I'm working on.  For the past two days, I've been doing a lot of prep and planning, going through the plans step-by-step to make sure I didn't forget anything.

Today, we made progress, although it's hard to see .  We did a lot of carpentry and started roughing in both water and sewerage.  It's all kinds of work that has to be done before you can do the things that really show.

We added the final stud wall, got the toilet set up and did the carpentry that is necessary for the toilet installation.  Tomorrow, I'm going to rough-in the fresh water plumbing, and make lists of what I need for the electrical installation.


Friday, I"ll rough-in electrical circuits and start getting read y for wallboard.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just curious, PawPaw: I've never seen pink studs before. Was there a sale on them after the pound-MeToo rally?
I couldn't resist.
--Tennessee Budd

Pawpaw said...

I don't know, Bud. Why are out pre-cut studs pink? It's been that way as long as I can remember. As any builder knows, a pre-cut stud is 2X4X92.5 and we use a footer and two headers to make an 8 foot wall.

Those pre-cut studs have been pink for as long as I can remember, and it sure makes it easy to pic them out of a pile of lumber.

Mike Silvius said...

Pink pre-cut studs must be a Louisiana/southern thing. I have been swinging a hammer for over 35 years here in Maine and never seen pink studs before.

Old NFO said...

Looking good, and we don't see those studs in Texas either.

Anonymous said...

Yup, most of the stud colors I've seen are natural, yellow or the greenish hue of outdoor treated. Pink works though - its all wood. :^)

Am curious why the sink is that far from restroom plumbing - is it an issue with sewer line routing ? Not complaining mind you (its your place !), just curious.

Looking good sir - job well done !

DaveS said...

Looking good and making progress! Congratulations - good opportunity for learning for Zach too? As far as the pink studs - it would be interesting to see a photo of the grade stamp - it might shed some light on things. I've heard all kinds of stories about pink studs over the years - ranging from "fire-retardant" to "it was a marketing ploy". The mill/grade stamp (or often with treated lumber a plastic tag stapled to the end) should tell the story. I've built from Michigan to Alaska and never once seen a pink stick of lumber.