Wednesday, August 16, 2017

The Krewe Ball

Mardi Gras is celebrated in different ways all across the state, but one constant is the Krewe.  A Krere is a group of like-minded folks who join together to participate, to make a float, to parade, and generally to celebrate Mardi Gras as a group.  One of the traditions is that each Krewe hosts a ball.  A formal ball where the ladies sparkle, the men are elegant, and the company is pleasant.  Some of the Krewe balls are legendary.

Belle and I have been invited to a local Krewe ball.  We have accepted, and as it is not until January, we have plenty of time to plan our attire.  We're told that it's formal, and that the men must wear black and the ladies can wear any color but white (which is reserved for the court).

I'm thinking about tails, in the manner of the 1880s late Victorian style.  Something like this:


With an appropriate vest, I believe it might create the proper atmosphere.  It might be quite dashing.  Or, I could go with a Gunfighter coat from the same era, with  an appropriate vest and stting tie.


Properly done, 1880s attire is quite formal, and the effect is quite stylish.  It should suffice for a Krewe ball.  Mardi Gras is about costuming, after all. The effect would be something like my buddy Skagway Sam, a master of period attire.



What say ye?  At any rate, I'm going to need to go to the PX and buy some new dress shoes.  The ones I have simply will not do.

This might turn out to be a lot of fun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suggest the 1880s; but you should get boots not shoes.
Ben

Old NFO said...

Tie and tails! :-)

Daddy Hawk said...

Gunfighter all the way. I'd go with Gene Hackman's style from The Quick and the Dead.

jon spencer said...

Another good reason for a BBQ gun.