Sunday, October 05, 2014

Beer Can Chicken

So, there's this recipe, you basically stuff an opened beer can up a chicken's opening, and smoke the chicken.  Some says it imparts a nice flavor to the chicken, others say that it helps keep the meat moist as the beer boils in the can. I don't know one way or the other, because I like the taste of smoked chicken, but this morning at about 8:00, I put some chickens on to smoke, using the beer can recipe and these little chicken holders.  I used Boonie's recipe for smoked chicken, which is simply to coat the bird in margarine, then sprinkle it liberally with Tony's Cajun Seasoning.  While I was prepping chickens, Milady made a potato salad and some baked beans.

I put those chickens in the smoker at 300F for four hours, with pecan hulls for smoke.  Took them off at noon, and fed the assembled family.

It got real quiet on the patio, everyone was chewing chicken.  The kids went to sit under the gazebo, and I didn't hear much from them either.

The older boys came around to snatch a second leg-quarter, but I didn't hear much from them either.

I guess it was okay, I didn't have a lot of leftovers.  What there is will become chicken salad for sandwiches tomorrow night.

3 comments:

Sdv1949 said...

Beer BUTT chicken rules! We do 'em on the grill set low and we believe it is the best way to cook a chicken.

Anonymous said...

Best turkey I ever made was a beer can. A Fosters or one of the other big cans works with a 12 or so lb turkey.

Ben

Old NFO said...

And you didn't invite us??? :-) Been doing those for years. Either Cachere or Prudhomme's works well!