Wednesday, September 21, 2011

DADT repeal

I see that Don't Ask, Don't Tell has been repealed. The Obama crew is taking credit for it, and that's fine. Let 'em have the credit for that. Even the Lightworker gets it right once in a while.

I believe that the repeal is long overdue and maybe now the military can move forward beyond the issue. I've known soldiers that I thought were gay, and of course, I didn't ask and they didn't tell. One soldier in particular, a young buck sergeant, a fine MP investigator and a young man with a marvelous career ahead of him. He got out after four years in the military and it was several years later when I hired him as a police officer that I learned he was gay. He's since gone on to other challenges in the private security field, last I heard was working as a risk-management professional for a Fortune 500 company. Helluva guy, great investigator, I hope that he succeeds far beyond what I could teach him.

As long as soldiers have sex, commanders will have problems associated with interpersonal relationships. We've been dealing with that since the Roman Legions. I've put heterosexual soldiers out of the Army because they couldn't keep their peckers in their pants and we know how to deal with issues of "good order and discipline". Now commanders have one less issue to worry about. As long as a soldier's activities don't affect the unit, there should be no problems.

It was time to repeal the gay ban and I'm glad to see it's gone.

No comments: