Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Weaver Scope

Regular readers know my fondness for Weaver scopes. I've got a fixed 6-power on my Savage 110, and I've been casting about, looking for a scope to put on that Ugly Rifle I salvaged from the used gun racks.

Several days ago, I cane across a cryptic reference to new line of scopes from Weaver, the Buck Commander series. Evidently the Buck Commander is some type of sporting show, but the little review I saw was fairly favorable about the scope. I looked online, and MidwayUSA doesn't have them yet, but they're listed at SWFA with a retail price of $184.95. I was interested, but not particularly intrigued.

I had a few minutes to kill this afternoon and went into Louisiana Archery, a local sporting goods store. I've traded with the guy in the past and wanted to see what scopes he stocked. Lo and behold, he had one of the new Weaver scopes in 2.5X10X42 so I asked to look at it.

Suggested retail on this scope is $287.95, but the SWFA price is $184.95. When the guy took it out of the case, I was pleasantly surprised. The optics are clear and the eye relief is rather generous. Set at 2.5 power, he and I estimated the eye relief at about 5 inches. Cranked all the way up to 10 power, it seems to be a fairly standard 3.5 to 4 inches. Both the focus ring and the power ring turned smoothly. This seemed like a fairly nice scope. The guy had it marked at $199.95, and I mentioned that I'd rather spend my money locally than online or at a big box store. He told me he'd take off 10% for being a loyal customer.

I bought it immediately. I got it for less than SWFA prices, and now I can quit looking for a scope. It's got plenty of magnification for the deer woods. In fact, I doubt I'll ever put it on 10X when I'm hunting. It will probably stay somewhere in the range from 2X to 6X for hunting.

After I've shot over it a few times, I'll post some sort of review.

No comments: