Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Tumblers

Last week I mentioned buying a tumbler. I've been reloading since 1975 and never felt the need to own a tumbler, but recently I've been re-thinking that. SO, last week I ordered a little tumbler from MidSouth Shooting Supply. It's a new item from Smart Reloader, the SR737 Nano.


Just hours after I ordered it, too late to cancel the order, I got an unbelievably generous offer from a reader in Arizona, John, who said that the had a Dillon CV-500 case cleaner that he hasn't used in a while and he'd send to me, free to good home.


The MidSouth order came in today. I put the little tumbler together and put some media in the bowl, along with a handful of .243 cases. It tumbled for about an hour and shut down. When I felt it, the base was warm, so I unplugged it for awhile until it cooled. The brass was clean. After it cooled, I plugged it back in and it started jiggling again, so maybe it will be good for light cleaning jobs.

John has emailed me several times this past week and sent a UPS tracking code. The Dillon is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to using that machine.

Thanks again, John.

3 comments:

Hobie said...

I think the motors all generate some heat when running.

J said...

+1 on Hobie's comment. I don't like using a tumbler due to having to pick media out of primer pockets. I use a gallon jug and hot water & dishwash soap. It removes grit & grease, which is all I need.

Rich Jordan said...

I've got a CV-500 in use since the mid '90s with zero problems.

WRT prime pockets, I find that sizing with a primer punch installed in the die (even though I deprime with a Lee universal depriming die before cleaning) is enough to remove any remaining media from the pocket. Even if it is interlocking and jammed in, that one punch through loosens it all up and it falls into the press primer catch jar (Forster Co-Ax)