Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Wednesday

 I stopped by the pawn shop on the way home today, mainly because I didn't have much to do and I haven't been there in a few weeks.  I caught up on some old friends and was browsing the used gun rack, when my favorite counter-guy came out with a bolt rifle.  Remington 700, the plain-jane model we used to call the ADL.  It's got a blind magazine, a walnut stock, and it is in fairly good shape.  It looks like it's been used, not abused.  Short action, in .308 Winchester.  With a Leupold VX-1 3X9 scope mounted.  I figure the scope, mounts and rings are worth a little bit over $250.00 and he wanted $550.00 for the whole package.  Now, I need another rifle like I need another hole in my head, but with the scope, the rifle itself has got to be worth $300.00, and short action Remington's don't show up on the racks every day.  The trigger felt really good, like someone who knew what he was doing had worked it.  Clean break, no creep, very little overtravel.  I put it on layaway.

When I got home I realized that, for a change, I didn't have to be anywhere, or do much of anything, so I decided to do a little reloading.  While at my bench, my daughter-in-law drove up.  It seems that there had been a bad wreck up the road and Milady was worried that I wasn't answering the phone.  DIL and step-son live just a mile up the road and she came to check on me. We called Milady and told her that I was okay.  Not in a wreck, just puttering on my bench.  While she was here, DIL filched some sweet potatoes from a bushel we got recently.  The bushel is sitting near my bench and of course she could have a few.

I'm caught up on my .44 Special reloading now.  Daughter-in-law has some sweet potatoes for supper, and Milady knows that I'm okay. I've got a rifle on layaway. It's turning in to a good Wednesday afternoon

4 comments:

Flintlock Tom said...

Life is good!

Jester said...

Quite green with envy at that .308 find! Seems good hump days are going around, I found out that I'm accepted in to my online college today.

Old NFO said...

Good day all the way around (other than the wreck). It's always nice to know people care!

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

good find, pop. I love the .308 cartridge. when I get to a point in my life where I start hunting again, I'm gonna look around for a savage or remington 700 in .308 with a sporter barrel. left handed bolt, of course!