Sunday, October 10, 2010

Playing with Shotshells

While the ladies were enjoying a baby shower, the boys and I went out to the bench and started playing with shotshells for the .44 magnum.  I used Junior's technique, but loaded the shells with 7 1/2 shot, cause that's what I have.

Looking in the manuals, I decided on a load of 6.4 grains (0.7 cc) of Unique.  A mild load, for sure, but one that I hoped had enough authority for a snake load at spitting distance.  So, we loaded five of them and took them out by the pond, along with the Super Blackhawk and a sweet potato.  Near the pond, I rolled the sweet potato about five feet away in the grass near some cat-tails, thumb cocked that revolver and let fly.  The sweet potato was seen to jump and lay still.  A mortal wound.

I let the boys shoot it until the sweet potato was shredded and the ladies came out to investigate, hearing gunfire.  Milady had heard the pop and was concerned that the grandkids might be shooting without adult supervision.  Even seeing me and two adult sons, she is still concerned about the lack of adult supervision.

At any rate, the snake loads are a resounding success and I'll have to make another dozen or so for our woods rambling.  I have some fine-tuning to do so that I"m not so hit-or-miss with the proper load, but the concept is sound and repeatable.  Snake loads in a big pistol are fun.

3 comments:

Termite said...

Midway has BPI brand #11 shot; $33 for a 10# bag. Care to split a bag with me? It would make more 357 and .44 shot shells than both of us are likely to shoot up for years to come.

Pawpaw said...

Yeah, Terminte. That sounds good. Email me and we'll set it up.

Anonymous said...

Here in W. Washington (State) the only native venomous creepy crawler aside from elected democrats is the rare and endangered Olympic Tree Slug. Seeing a tree slug requires glasses. Four or five will normally do the trick.

Identifying the elected democrats is easier as they are usually at the center of a crowd of drooling mouth breathers sometimes known as "Reporters." At the edge of this crowd will be half a dozen constituents, these are recognized by their obsequious pleadings for more of someone else's money.

Gerry N.