Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Carter on Guns

Did y'all see this. Our favorite kicking-boy President, James Earl Carter, holds forth in the New York Times, wondering where is the assault weapons ban?
THE evolution in public policy concerning the manufacture, sale and possession of semiautomatic assault weapons like AK-47s, AR-15s and Uzis has been very disturbing. Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and I all supported a ban on these formidable firearms, and one was finally passed in 1994.
Really? You all supported it. We tried it for ten years and found that it didn't work. It was feel good legislation. Like most feel good legislation, it had no grounding in reality, so it had no influence on reality. It was allowed to expire.
I have used weapons since I was big enough to carry one, and now own two handguns, four shotguns and three rifles, two with scopes. I use them carefully, for hunting game from our family woods and fields, and occasionally for hunting with my family and friends in other places. We cherish the right to own a gun and some of my hunting companions like to collect rare weapons. One of them is a superb craftsman who makes muzzle-loading rifles, one of which I displayed for four years in my private White House office.
Here's where Jimmah establishes his cred as a hunter and firearms owner. A Fudd, if you will.
But none of us wants to own an assault weapon, because we have no desire to kill policemen or go to a school or workplace to see how many victims we can accumulate before we are finally shot or take our own lives.
Here's where he dances in the blood of the victims. Leftists always want to dance in the blood. Let's not debate something based on logic or reason. Let's talk about victims.
An overwhelming majority of Americans, including me and my hunting companions, believe in the right to own weapons, but surveys show that they also support modest restraints like background checks, mandatory registration and brief waiting periods before purchase. A majority of Americans also support banning assault weapons.
Oh, really, Jimmy? Which survey is that? I've done a lot of studying and I've never seen a survey like that. I've seen other surveys though, where a majority.. an overwhelming majority of people support the idea that you restrain yourself from lying to the American people.

Thanks, Jimmy, you lying sack of excrement! Your support of an assault weapons ban is a sure-fire indication of how left-wing an ideal it is. If you support it, it's a political loser. You're a political loser, Jimmy, and you have been since America woke up in 1979.

3 comments:

Bob S. said...

Hey Jimmy,

Some of us aren't hunters, don't hang around with hunters, don't want to hunt.

What we do want to be able to do is practice marksmanship with the weapons or similar weapons to what the military uses....you remember that whole militia thing.

I have a son in the Marine Corp, it would be nice to spend a day at the range with him. Letting him show me what he has learned during his service.

J said...

I wonder if Jimmy told Nancy about all those guns he owns.

JTBrowning said...

The one thing that I have never been able to figure out with this whole issue is, according to them, just what the hell is an "Assault Weapon"?
I read that POS "Assault Weapons Ban" back in 1994. I found out that 2 Shotguns of mine and one "Scoped" rifle , fit the definition. I still have them, BTW. That stupid thing just outlawed certain cosmetic traits. I talked to lawyers about it, they couldn't figure it out, either.
I do know the military definition of an "Assault Rifle", but weapons that meet that criteria are already illegal for the general public. So to Jimmy "Beavergrille" Carter I ask, What the f$@% are you talking about?