Friday, April 24, 2009

More on 20 gauge

Responding to Rivrdog's comments, where he said:
I still recommend the 12 ga. Reduced-recoil loads are now available in 2 3/4", and mini-shells are available that reduce the recoil well below that of a 20-ga, but still deliver six 00 pellets at 1300 fps, or a 7/8 oz slug, same as a 20-ga.
That's true, Rivrdog, and for most users, and especially the ones who can only own one shotgun, the 12 gauge is certainly the most recommended choice. If a new gunner asks me what shotgun he should start with, I'll most often recommend a 12 gauge pump, either in Remington, Mossberg, or Winchester flavor.

That being said, my grandfather, and my first wife's grandfather both shot a 20 gauge to the exclusion of the other gauges. They believed that a 20 gauge didn't punish the shooter like a 12 gauge and held the opinion that the 20 gauge was so close in utility to the 12 gauge that the difference in recoil alone was worth having the smaller shot string. They were both market hunters in their youth and might shoot a couple of cases of shells during a duck season.

You're right in general that the 12 gauge is a more versatile bore and can be loaded up or down to suit the shooter.

One thing I've noticed recently is that the Winchester 1300 shotguns are looking like a good deal on the pawn shop shelves. The used 870's are starting to be pretty "picked over" and the Winchesters are languishing. I've been in the market for another 12 gauge pump and those 1300s are looking pretty good.

I've owned three or four of the Winchester 1300 series over the years. They've always been good dependable shotguns. The only one I have now is a 20 gauge, but I like it a lot. Probably in the next month or so, one will find it's way home. I'm looking for a 12 gauge, 28" vent-rib, with screw-in chokes. I don't currently own a 12 gauge sporting shotgun.

No comments: