Saturday, April 18, 2009

Saturday touring

We toured around St. Augustine today with our daughter-in-law, Melissa, and the grandson. We went to the Flagler museum, with is devoted to the gilded age of American history. Lots of nice stuff in the museum. Here's a picture from one of the galleries. You can, of course, click for a bigger picture.



For supper, we went to a little restaurant on A1A the kids said they'd like to try, the Sunset Grill. It's a seafood restaurant near the beach, and comes highly endorsed by the locals. (Joey said that he's tried to get in before and the line was too long.) We started the meal with appetizers; seafood stuffed potatoes and oysters on the half-shell. I had shrimp and scallops with tomatoes, basil, and mushrooms over pasta. Milady had seared grouper, DIL had skewers of shrimp, son had chicken primavera. We passed plates around and it was all wonderful. The best meal I've had in months.

If you're ever in St. Augustine, stop by the Sunset Grill. It'll be worth your time.

Tomorrow, after we check out of the hotel, we're going to eat breakfast with the grandson, take a few last pictures, the head to the airport. We should be back in Alexandria tomorrow night, in time to get ready to start the week.

1 comment:

Rivrdog said...

About 15 years ago, I was on an extradition down at New Port Richey, up on the Sunshine Coast.

I used some vacation days and reported there early so I could have time to look around. Nice retirement homes (1400 sq/ft) were selling for $89K there, and although the area was in the single-digit elevation ring, many miles of Mangrove swamp would temper storm surges. I damn near bought one.

While there, I ate at a local joint a jail Deputy steered me to that served an all-you-can-eat shrimp platter on Thursdays, together with fifty-cent schooners.

I finished 3 large bowls of shrimp and about that many beers, and my kidneys barked at me for a week for O/D-ing on protein.

I'm told that there are places like that all over the Gulf Coast.