Saturday, January 17, 2009

Unique Powder

I'm a fan of Unique powder, originally a Hercules brand, but more recently manufactured by Alliant. It's a darned versatile powder, good for many, many uses. If you own a caliber, there is probably a load for it that uses Unique. It's not the best powder for every application, but it's a good powder for a lot of applications. If I had to pare down all the reloading powders on my bench to just two or three, Unique would be sitting on the shelf.

This guy seems to like it too. Go there and read.

Thanks, Joe, for the link.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was using UNIQUE today to load some .38 Special lead hollow-base wad cutters. I have used it for .357 Magnum, 9mm, 45ACP and some .357 rifle loads as well. While perhaps not the BEST powder for precision reloading, UNIQUE is a great general-use powder for plinking and practicing.

CU74

be603 said...

8lb jug under my bench. Been in my measure a couple months now picking away at several calibers. First up was 38sp DEWC & SWC, then a mess of 45 Colt 240JHP & 255gr RNFP, then 45ACP 230gr XTP and finshing now some 200gr SWC.

That'll do as I finally change over to work up some jacket bullet hunting loads for 30-30. Although it's tempting to start out with Unique under some cast boolitt plinkers... :-)

Old NFO said...

Dang it... I 'really' wish I could reload, but not until I move...

.325or8mm said...

I want to reload 260 gr JHP with Unique in a .454 Casull. I found one load listed for 12.0 to 15.0, how does this sound to you. I've only loaded .45 Colt with Unique.