Sunday, January 25, 2009

Revolver work

Between bouts with the Savage today, I took the opportunity to do a little trigger work with my Smith & Wesson Model 66. I acquired this revolver soon after I began police work, sometime in the early 1980s. I think I gave $150.00 for it, and it's still worth that.



It's had dozens of cases of ammo through it. That simple little pistol was my primary duty weapon for over two decades. I resisted the Wondernine revolution of the latter part of the twentieth century, opting to stay with the tested .357 magnum. There's a lot to like, still, with a .357 in a rural jurisdiction.

Today, though, that revolver has been retired from active service. I took it out today to work some target loads through it. It's always liked a light charge of Bullseye under a 148 grain hollow-based wadcutter, and I had some loaded so I gave it a go. It worked just fine. If anybody needs a good recipe for a .38 special target load, 2.7 grains of Bullseye under a 148 grain HBWC and any standard primer. Low recoil, low velocity, and high accuracy in every revolver I've ever tried.

Every spring, my department sponsors a shooting match using duty weapons. We throw money in a hat and shoot targets and some folks win trophies and some folks don't, and the money goes to Special Olympics. I think I'm going to load a bunch of those target loads and spend some time practicing. When the match rolls around, I won't embarrass myself.

1 comment:

JPG said...

Nifty ol’ revolver, sir - -

I packed its blue twin in uniform for over two years. When S&W announced the K-frame magnums in stainless, I ordered one from a police supply in Grand Prairie. By the time it arrived, though, I had gone to a job where I could carry a .45 automatic. I picked up the M66 and kept it unfired, ‘cause I still had my M19. Finally sold the 66 for a modest profit and swapped off the 19 - - both mistakes, sure, but what did I know, back then?

I now have another 19, which wears the same Hogue stocks as your 66. I feel no need to load it up hot. My favorite plinking/small game load is a hard cast 162 semi wadcutter over 7.0 gr. Unique and standard primers, in mag cases. This is low end magnum load but it shoots pretty flat. I saved a target from last year on which it grouped six in six inches at 100 yards from a bench.

“I think I gave $150.00 for it, and it's still worth that.” Well, I should say so! Tell you what: Any time you get tired of it, please give me a chance, ‘cause I’d sure be glad to give more.

Best,
JPG