Friday, January 09, 2009

Dove Loads

The eldest grandson got a shotgun for Christmas and PawPaw went to Academy Sports today to get some supplies for when he starts pestering me about shooting it.

I picked up a case of clays and a case of shotgun shells. They had plenty of shotgun shells and the price was okay on them. I picked up some 20 gauge Remington heavy dove loads for less than $6.00 a box. They're 7 1/2 shot, but they'll do for teaching a young'un to lead a moving target.

When I'm at Academy, I generally pick up a box or two of .223 to augment my meager supplies. They had none. None of any flavor. Very little other rifle cartridges. Come to think of it, I didn't see any .308 either. They were stocked on sporting arms, but the ammo shelves were practically empty.

At any rate, a case of shotgun ammo came home with me. It's been years since I fired a shotgun except for LEO qualification, and a decade or so since I've fired at a moving target. Hopefully, it'll come back to me.

**Update** His mother brought him over for a visit this afternoon and he noticed the case of shotgun shells laying on the bench. The pestering has commenced.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Go forth and teach! and have some fun too! :-)

Anonymous said...

Up in New Hampshire the local Wally World has also run out of the "popular" loads. The sporting goods manager said he started getting bought out when Obama was elected.