Thursday, May 04, 2006

Travel Plans

Milday and I like to get out of town a couple or three times a year. Generally, in May, we take off to New Orleans. Not this year. Maybe my Google skills ain't up to it, but it seems like all I hear of New Orleans is doom and gloom.

I go to sites like the Chanber of Commerce and the Convention and Visitors Bureau, and I really don't get a good feeling about the recovery. I see that Harrah's has reopened, and that is good, I'm just wondering what took them so damned long? The Chamber of Commerce only lists seven "preferred" hotels in New Orleans, and I'm wondering if those seven are the only ones open? I went to the Convention and Visitors website and their list of hotels isn't even in alphabetical order. I couldn't find the Doubletree in that list and it's one of my favorite hotels in New Orleans. Is it open? Who knows?

I went back to Google and searched some of the tourist sites, and it looks like Biloxi might be up and running. I made reservations at the Isle of Capri and we intend to soak up a little sun, wander around Biloxi, and see some things that we can't see around here.

I'm sure I'll see some devastation. I'm sure I'll see some refuse and storm damage. The websites from Biloxi are optimistic and upbeat and seem to want me to come visit. I can eat a good meal, look at the Gulf, and recharge my batteries, if only for a couple of days. Milady will probably drop a nickel in a slot machine. I'll probably lose a few dollars at the blackjack table. I've gotta drive right past New Orleans to do all that, and that is a damned shame.

Memo to New Orleans: I know that you took a bad hit last August. I know you are in turmoil and life in the City has changed. You want my tourism dollar, you have to get a little more upbeat, more confident, more fun. Have someone put up a website luring me to the Big Easy. I'd really like to come to New Orleans and play for a long weekend, but until you get your act together, it ain't happening.

No comments: