Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Hooch

Last night I had to go to the store to restock the liquor cabinet. I needed some whiskey, rum, and bourbon. I also picked up some champagne for my son's upcoming nuptials.

I waslked over to the bourbon aisle, and found something that always manages to piss me off. Jack Daniels. While Jack is good hooch, it isn't bourbon. It is sour mash whiskey. WHen I want bourbon, By God, I want bourbon. Bourbon is made in Kentucky. Look for Upton County, Frankfort, or Bardstown on the label. Jim Beam, Evan Williams and a host of other brands are good Kentucky Bourbon. Then there is the bad bourbon. We're not going to talk about those.

I found a new one last night. Benchmark bourbon. It's a buck cheaper per bottle than the Evan Williams I usually buy. When I got home, I made one with a couple of rocks and tried it. That is good hooch. It has that bourbion bite at the back of your tongue, but the bite isn't rough. Good flavor, it goes down easy. It should be good sipping bourbon or good with a mixer.

If you see a bottle, give it a try.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though I rarely drink liquor, because I am a beer lover who can enjoy just about any beer except Corona, Becks, or any light beer, when I am in the mood for liquor Jack & water or Jim Beam & water tend to do the trick for me.

Anonymous said...

Various kinds of dark beer and rye whiskey for me, although I had some stuff out of a mason jar that had dehydraded peaches floating in it. That was pretty good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Jack hasn't been close to the same since Diageo bought them out. The proof has gone from 90 to 86 now to 80. Crap.

Check out my favorite, Booker's.

Anonymous said...

You got a good price, Benchmark here seems higher then even Jack. Why I have never tried it though I like Jim Beam or Evan Williams anyway.