Friday, May 26, 2006

Take the Pledge

I see that Mayor Nagin is working on a comprehensive plan to bring New Orleans back. That's good. That's what we expect him to do. That's what he is paid to do. I am encouraged that he is bringing in a broad range of political opponents. I see Couhig and others who ran against him are included in the team.

My only question for the Mayor, indeed for any Mayor, is has he taken the pledge? You know, the pledge that he will never allow the police to take firearms from a law-abiding citizen? It is a very simple document. The .PDF file (you've been warned)on the pledge is here.

The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina saw some of the most egregious violations of civil rights that I have personally ever viewed. Fully compararable to the violations that I watched on the evening news as a boy in the '60s. The right to self-defense is one of the most basic of civil rights and when I saw Eddie Compass say that he was going to disarm New Orleans residents, I was appalled. The NOPD still has weapons in its care that were seized during the Katrina unpleasantness. This all happened under Mayor Nagin's watch. Now is the time to correct the impression that he is against lawful self-defense.

Mayor Nagin! Either you believe in civil rights, or you don't. We intend to make this pledge into a single-issue that can either haunt you, hurt you or help you. Either you are with us, or you are against us. Louisiana believes in the right to keep and bear arms. Now is the time to declare yourself Take the pledge!

1 comment:

Rivrdog said...

Ummmm....PawPaw, you stopped a little short of the finish line, buddy.

I was looking for the paragraph that called upon Hizzoner to can any Compass remnants still left in the NOPD.