Monday, May 15, 2006

Free association election thoughts - Nagin vs. Landrieu

Warning. Disconnected thoughts rampage through this post.

The good people of the city of New Orleans are in the last days of a mayoral election. The choice boils down to two horses: Ray (chocolate city) Nagin and Mitch (old political family) Landrieu. The political analysis is fast and furious. As is the campaigning.

One on side, we have the Oyster, who is debating heavily that Landrieu should be the choice. He seems appalled that the Republicans seem to be backing Nagin financially while running him down in the rest of the state.

On the other hand, we have those who discount Landrieu because he came from old money, a political dynasty and because he represents the Democrat party. Jeff Crouere intimates that Landrieu has the upper hand right now, both in momentum and financing, and that the election is Landrieu's to lose. Crouere reports that Nagin raised a cool half-million on a recent fundraising effort in Chicago.
To show how desperate Nagin is for donations, the Mayor had to travel to Chicago to replenish his dwindling war chest. Nagin raised $500K on his Chicago trip, but some questioned the appropriateness of out-of-town donors influencing a New Orleans race. While Nagin might have lost support among top donors in New Orleans, he certainly is popular among major players in Chicago. But, if he wins, he will not be their Mayor, he will still be Mayor of New Orleans, a city where the major political players have looked at Nagin and determined they don’t want to see another four years of his “maverick” leadership.
It sounds like it is going to be an interesting week.

I don't like Landrieu, not that I know anything about the man, but I abhor his sister, politically, and if we use the analogy that an apple doesn't fall far from the tree, then the analogy should hold that two apples falling from the same tree are in pretty much the same place. I am realistic enough to apply that lesson to my own siblings and know that it doesn't hold much water. I am the eldest of seven. I am staunchly conservative. My youngest sister (who recently turned 40) is staunchly progressive. I chalk that up to her having been the youngest, and getting her way constantly. I digress.

Landrieu might be okay as mayor. He hasn't really screwed up as Lieutenant Governor, not in any huge manner. He did spend almost a million redecorating his office. I hope it was in good taste.

I wouldn't vote for a Landrieu if he were the Annointed of God, and he had feathered angels as poll watchers. I couldn't vote for Nagin and hold my lunch down for a week. Either choice is unappetizing, and unappealing. Luckily, I don't get to vote in this election. I'm not registered in the New Orleans precincts. (which hasn't proven to be a hindrance to voting, sometimes, but I digress again). I think Landrieu would be a better choice than Nagin, but I couldn't bring myself to pull the lever for him.

Take heart, Oyster. I believe Landrieu is going to win this one. I can't vote against the man, so that is one vote you don't have to worry about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a registered voter AND newly minted poll comissioner in New Orleans I couldn't agree more. I actually LIKE Nagin, voted for him 4 years ago and may again in the future. Right now he seems to be suffering from exterme burnout. (I would probably vote for him Saturday if the only choice was one of the crooks that he replaced.)

Very important. Everyone should check the graphic at www.nola.com for an explaination of how the flood unfolded. The Mississippi coast was destroyed by a natural disaster. The New Orleans flood was man made.