Thursday, November 28, 2019

Roswell, Ruidoso

We ate lunch in Roswell with elder son, then decided to take a drive up into the Sierra Blanco mountains near Ruidoso.  The day was drizzly and grey, but the stark beauty of the mountains shown through.  For a boy who grew up in the swamps of Louisiana, these landscapes were simply amazing.

Fog, or clouds rolling over the mountain.
The elevation over the pass into Ruidoso was 6000 ft.  Not as high as Los Alamos (7171), but a lot higher than I had been in a while.

It's hard to capture the grandeur of these mountains.  I'm going to have to come back in the summer when I can get out of the vehicle and take better photos.

Tomorrow morning we're going to point the van east and start home.  With three drivers and a 12 hour jaunt across Texas, we should be able to make it in one day.  With luck, I'll be in my own bed sometime late Friday night.

2 comments:

Mark O said...

We drove thru there on the way south to Texas for the winter several times. Beautiful country. We lived in Biloxi for four years (USAF). Definitely different.

Old NFO said...

Beautiful and COLD this time of year... I'll take warm any day! :-) travel safe