Monday, October 22, 2018

Consistency

I see that Senator Cory Booker is having a MeToo moment.  Some guy is accusing hiim of sexual assault in a public bathroom.

Until more substantial evidence comes froward, I'm inclined to give Senator Booker the benefit of the presumption.  We don't know enough at this point to assess one way or the other, and I don't know why the guy didn't first go to the police rather than a media outlet.  SO, there you have it.

The question is whether all victims of sexual assault are to be believed, or if we should require some sort of substantiation before we make a judgement.  Is the accusation enough to keep someone from a position of great power?

Based on the activities of the MeToo movement over the past couple of weeks, it will be interesting to see how they react.    Will they take the story of the accuser as truth, or will they soft-pedal this accusation?  I suppose their choice is between consistency or hypocrisy.

For myself, I'll give Senator Booker the benefit of the doubt, but I admit that the irony is rich.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

They're letting Ellison off... sigh

Anonymous said...

I always judge people by the standard they themselves employ. So Booker you're not some rebel, you're a faggot.

JimB said...

You go to the police first to accuse a well connected Dem US Senator from NJ and odds are it will never see the light of day. Go to the media first and you have a chance it at least be looked at before it's ignored.