Friday, October 23, 2015

Buckshot

Over at Tam's place, she is reviewing buckshot, and her observations are pretty much the same as mine.  So, I'll steal liberally from her.


Federal's 8-pellet FliteControl 00B (LE133 00) borders on voodoo. Bear in mind that with this stuff you are essentially firing a single giant Glaser Safety Slug at indoor ranges. You have to aim the shotgun the same way and with the same care you'd use with a carbine or pistol, because no lucky fliers are going to turn a miss into a marginal hit. (But whatever gets hit with that pattern is going to wish it hadn't been.)
That's been my experience with that load.  I've personally used Federal's buckshot load in my Remington 870 (my cruiser shotgun) and at 25 yards, it's entirely possible that all the buckshot will fall within the 8-ring of a standard B-25 target.  The Federal Flite-Control load is devastating, and it's what is loaded in my shotgun at all times.

Take it from Tam, or take it from PawPaw, it's the ammo you want loaded in your shotgun for serious work, but you'd better aim the shotgun.

3 comments:

Peter said...

Agreed. I use the Federal #1 buck load (16 pellets of #1 buckshot), but it's the Flite-Control wad as well. I'd hate to be on the receiving end . . .

Old NFO said...

Gah, I've got a case of 00 Buck from Estate that I haven't used... Sigh... But I'll get some of this stuff this weekend!

Rivrdog said...

In my home defense M500, the first round and the next round are standard 9-pellet OOB, the rest are Latvian sabot-clad steel slugs (anti-vehicle load). No "Flight-control" for me: if I didn't want the buckshot to spread some, all rounds would be slugs.

Gentlemen, it's known as a "scattergun" for a reason. If you don't like the scattering characteristic of an open choke, just use a full or tighter barrel. If you want zero effective scatter at short-to-medium ranges, maybe you need a RIFLE handy, not a shotgun. The ONLY possible tactical advantage of this round is at ranges of 25 to 50 yards, since an ordinary shot-collar wad effectively keeps the shot charge a unitary mass out to 15 yards. Only without the use of a collar-wad can you get significant spread of shot inside of 15 yards, even with a cylinder-bore choke. I haven't seen collarless buckshot rounds sold for 50 years, if you want them now, you have to handload some.

In my police career, annual qualification with the Remington 870 shotgun was required of all deputies except Radio dispatchers. The course was shot at 60 (later 50) and 25 yards. 2 rounds of slugs at 60, three more at 25, then 5 buckshot rounds at 25. A standard K28 silhouette target was used. Minimum qual was 80, and Master level was awarded upon attaining 95 for three consecutive qualifications. It took me 18 years to attain Master. BTW, our 870s had only a front gold bead sight. Ghost-ring sighted shotguns came into inventory after I retired in '03, although I was permitted to carry my personal Ithaca Deerslayer rifle-sighted gun on my patrol boat for 3 years of my 7 year tour in boats. It took that long to make the case that we watermen might have to fight at longer range than a road Deputy. Right after I left boats in 2000, the Sheriff issued ARs for that duty.