Thursday, September 29, 2011

In the Mail

Several weeks ago, over on the Firing Line Forum, some guys were swapping bullets and I threw my name in the ring. I've been talking to Mike in Texas and he sent me some old Sierra spitzers. They're .257 caliber, 87 grain Sierra spitzer bullets. And, they're ancient.


There's about 400 of them there, and I'm going to try them out in the Ruger I've got on layaway. My manual tells me that with a good slow powder I can push them to about 3500 fps and we'll have to see about that.

The boxes are cardboard and I'm wondering how old those bullets might be? The one in the top left corner says that it was manufactured by the Harris Machine Company of Rivera, CA.


I'm intrigued. Any of my half-dozen readers like to hazard a guess when those bullets were made?

4 comments:

Termite said...

A .257 87gr bullet at 3500fps......

Should make a coyote explode.

Anonymous said...

late 50's, part of the reloading boom post Korean war.Early 25-06 experiments were likely done with those.Quality will be high but likely thicker jackets than these days. Metal drawing technology was not the same as now.

Anonymous said...

PawPaw, I Googled "sierra harris machine co" and found this from a 2009 post on handloadersbench.com.

Harris Machine Co. began manufacturing Sierra Bullets in 1947 in Riviera, Ca. In 1952 they became an independent co, Sierra Bullets Inc., and sold by Harris. They were in Whittier Ca.from 1952 or 53 until 1963 when they moved to Santa Fe Springs, Ca.

Rivrdog said...

87 grain was evidently the go-to size for quarter-inchers in Those Olden Days. I have a mess of them (.243), although they are Hornadys, not Sierra. I've loaded and shot some of them at Boomershoot, pushed by 44 grains of 4831.

I could hit the occasional boomer with them at 385 yards (4" target), but they weren't as accurate as Federal Fusion 95-grain factory, which is my go-to load in the .243 now.