Saturday, April 24, 2010

Brisket, again

I'm cooking a brisket for the wedding rehearsal tonight. I was looking back over some of my brisket posts and I can see that I've changed my recipe since the last time I blogged about brisket.

I still use the big aluminum pan and the 225 degree oven. What's changed is the marinade. Nowadays I use a good rub, Tony's works fine, and 6 ounces of light beer.

Put the brisket in the aluminum roasting pan (fat cap up), give it a good rub and pour the beer over it. Put it in a 225 degree oven for 8 hours.

Slice, serve. That's about all there is to it. If you want to cheat, after you've sliced it and about an hour before the guests are due to arrive, fire up the charcoal pit and put the sliced brisket, in the aluminum serving pan, on the cool end of the pit. Let the smoke interact with the meat. When the guests arrive you can take the brisket off with a flourish and they'll think that you cooked it on the barbeque.

1 comment:

Rivrdog said...

On my way back from Boomershoot, I stopped at an old buddy's place, and he had just fired up a brisket in a Dutch Oven over charcoal (and charcoal over the top as well).

It was faux "boeuf bourginon", made by using Lipton Onion Soup mix, some extra onions, and 2 cups of "dago Red" (whatever cheapo red wine is lying around).

It could have used more garlic (what closed-pot recipe can't?), but it was easy, excellent, and fork-tender. Went well with a salad and homestyle potatoes.