Sunday, March 29, 2009

Earth Hour

Earth hour. Supposedly a celebration of life, we were supposed to dim our non-essential lights for an hour last night, from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm. I forgot.

Not that it mattered much. Saturday was busy. I started in the backyard by sinking three fence posts, complete with concrete bases. Then Milady and I climbed on the Goldwing and went to get the bike blessed. The local chapter of the Christian Mototcyclists Association was having a bike-blessing at a local park. We prayed over motorcycles, then helped ourselves to red-beans and rice while we visited with other bikers. After about an hour, we came home. The temps were a balmy 60 degrees and Milady was about frozen when we got home.

Son Matt called. He's beginning a major remodel of his house and needed to borrow my Sawzall. I suspect that before this remodel is over, most of my carpentry tools will be at Matt's house. That's okay. He's a mechanic and I've borrowed his tools and expertise many times. I grabbed the Sawzall and headed that way. I got involved in the carpentry and got home just before dark. Plenty of exercise, and I feel it in my neck and back this morning.

So, during Earth Hour, the only light burning in my house was the TV in the bedroom. Milady and I had retreated there after supper and when Earth hour officially began, I was probably asleep.

Not that I cared one whit about Earth Hour. My philosophy is that the Earth has been swinging around the sun for millions of years, certainly long before we climbed down out of the trees. It did fine before us and it'll do wonderfully after we're gone. It heats up and gets cooler based on principles that we're just learning and don't fully understand. The idea that man can influence any of the Earth's climate is a supreme arrogance and the longer I watch the climate-change gurus, I'm convinced that arrogance is the predominate personality type. I've got a sneaking hunch that Mother Gaia cares not one whit what we do.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Agreed- Ego and personality rule that clique of folks...