Thursday, January 29, 2009

Boyd's stocks

Y'all might remember that I dropped my Savage 30-06 last November and broke the stock. I hunted with another rifle for the remainder of the season, but this past Monday I ordered a stock for that rifle. I ordered the Boyd's JRS laminated stock in a color they call pepper laminate. It's grey.

When I ordered it, the website said that the item was in stock. I waited till this afternoon to check my card account and my order at Boyd's. It hasn't been processed, so I sent off an email. They returned my email promptly. There was some problem with their inventory system and they don't have that stock (or any Savage stock, evidently) in inventory. They promised that they could have me one in six weeks.

I told them okay. Whereas I'm interested in getting the stock and installing it, I'll want to bed it and the weather right now isn't conducive to good bedding. Not that I've ever bedded a rifle, but I've worked with epoxies and know that freezing temps aren't the best for curing epoxy. The weather in March will be better, so we'll wait till March.

I'll need to order a better trigger guard. The one Savage put on the stock is an ugly plastic. I never noticed it on the ugly plastic stock, but with this laminated stock, I'm going to order a nice matte metal one. Brownell's has them in stock and I'll order one next week, along with the bedding compound.

I hope I don't glue the rifle into the stock.

5 comments:

Old NFO said...

Heh- screwed that pooch before... Its truly an aw CRAP moment... sigh...

Anonymous said...

My only experience with Boyds was with an unfinished walnut M1 Garand stock. The inletting was fine, about 99% ready to drop the action in, needing only a little relieving so the trigger assembly would latch. But it was _fat_. Outside dimensions were downright porky compared to the "GI" stocks, and that took some work to slim down. I really liked the result, though I no longer have it.

It would have been fine as a shooter without the extra work on the outside; I just wanted it closer to the ratty cracked GI stock in feel and appearance. Quality was great.

Your stock is finished, per the link; I hope it works out well for you

Zdogk9 said...

When it comes time to bed your stock. Make a box that it will fit into. Put a 25 watt light bulb in the box. You'll have a controlled temperature and get a better cure.
Z

Rivrdog said...

Isn't there some kind of release paper you use on the action/barrel to keep it from sticking to the stock?

Buffboy said...

If you are ordering the Brownell's bedding kit it will have the release agent included. Apply it as per instructions and you will have no problems. They have been making that kit for a long, long, time and they have it figured out.