Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Stuff I like

July 2004 I found a beater rifle for rough use. It is a Winchester 94, in .30-30 Winchester (.30 WCF) and it was in a used gun rack in a pawn shop I like. The price was right, I picked it up cheap because it looked like hell on the outside.



I wrote the rifle up here, over at my other place.

It became my truck rifle, nestled behind the seat of the pickup, but something was missing. It needed an ammo carrier. I was surfing the web and came upon an outfit called Ace Case. I ordered some of their long soft gun cases and a couple of butt-cuff ammo carriers.

I love the long cases. Ace calls them the Musket Case, M#66, and they are soft, simple and washable. They are perfect for transporting a weapon when you might not want a hard gun case. The price is the best part, as they are 3 for $18.90. I have a half-dozen, and they are great.

The butt cuff was something else. Constructed of elastic, the darned thing would slip forward on the stock of the rifle, evetually becoming lodged under the lever of the rifle. I took it off the stock and dropped it into a drawer with unused holsters. It nagged at me as I would find it occasionally, and my brain worked on a fix.

This morning I was puttering around the shooting bench and found the answer. Voila! I was cutting up an old sweatshirt for rags and took a scrap of fabric from the sweatshirt, sewed it to the butt-cuff on both sides, and placed it between the stock and the butt plate of the rifle, securing it firmly in place. It can't slide forward now.



Here you can see the black butt-cuff from Ace Case, and the scrap of purple sweatshirt. It is held in place with the butt plate, and nine rounds of .30-30 goodness are ready to go. The whole shebang is in an Ace Case behind the seat of my pickup, ready to serve as goblin deterrent or SHTF rifle, whenever it is needed.

Go pay Ace Case a visit. I like their stuff.

2 comments:

Peter said...

You know that you can get the same result by sewing an elastic strap in the same place and just sliding it over the buttplate, right?

Pawpaw said...

Yeah, Peter, that would suffice nicely. I didn't have any elastic, but I did have an old sweatshirt. Thanks for the comment.