Friday, May 03, 2024

Rain

 I was planning to set a fence post this morning, but when I got back from the lumber yard, the bottom dropped out.  It's supposed to slack up closer to noon, so I might be able to get it done today.  Or not.  We'll see.  Nearly 20 years ago, I built a privacy fence around the back yard.  The standard at that time was to use metal posts.  Over the years, they have blown down during hurricanes, or rotted off at the base, and I've replaced them one at a time with 4X4 treated posts.

I really want to get this post in the ground, but I'm not willing to stand out in a thunderstorm swinging a post hole digger.

Belle says that she is hungry for crawfish today, and she will go to the boiler at noon to buy a few pounds.  I'm sitting in the shop, listening to the rain on the roof, and that may be my main activity, at least for the next few hours.

**UPDATE**  That job is done and the post is set.  I had the opportunity to teach my grandson how to use a post hole digger.  That is a skill every man should have. With the rain we had yesterday and today, the water table was high, and every time he would drop the tool into the hole, he got a splash of mud in his face.  Very instructive.  When he goes out tonight, he'll be freshly showered.

2 comments:

Javahead said...

"And today you get your PHD!" ;)

Learned that from my own grandfather, back when I was about 12.

Don McCollor said...

Growing up on the farm, if it was raining (lightly), time to fix fence. Amazing how the dirt from the posthole, even with the post placed in it, was never enough to fill the hole again.