Sunday, July 02, 2023

Big Pig

 I've been watching Davis Ellis' YouTube channel for a year or so. He's a nuisance trapper based in northern Mississippi.  Catching hogs is his bread and butter.  Feral hogs are a problem all across the South, and guys like David help control the populations.

Recently, he caught a big one.  It weighed 300 pounds on the scale.  


That is a screen grab from the video.  The guy cranking the handle looked to be about six feet tall.  That is one large pig.  Link here to the whole video.

That is not as big aw my largest pig.  I was fortunate to shoot one that pegged out a scale that would weigh 350 pounds.  Still, a 300 pound hog is a beast.

4 comments:

Drew458 said...

And what do you do with it once it's dead? Being from NJ, where the only feral pigs are in the statehouse in Trenton, I'm serious. I've heard that these feral ones are no good to eat, especially when they get up to the "hogzilla" size. But I could be wrong, as this "knowledge" comes from the MSM.

Old NFO said...

Imagine getting one that goes 1000lbs... Like Hogzilla down in Florida!

Anonymous said...

Drew458, some people shoot em and leave em where they lay, then some people clean em and eat them. Usually the boars are left behind because they stink so bad. It is mostly the sows and smaller pigs that get eaten.

Anonymous said...

Ditto what I've heard. Yotes eat good. Strong sausage (hot italian, etc.) Is sometimes an option, and I've heard of people feeding it to their dogs, but communicable parasites/worms make that problematic.