Friday, July 07, 2023

Battery Cables

 Folks have asked me why I keep that old F150 in the yard.  I bought it in 2003.  It's a 2001 and for ten years it was my daily driver.  It has about a quarter million miles on it, but the oil has been changed regularly and the maintenance has, for the most part, been done.

My daily driver is a Honda Odyssey van, but the truck is paid for, and sometimes I need a truck.

Last week, I noticed that the positive battery cable was loose, and when I tightened it, noticed that the little steel clamps Ford had put on it had finally, after 22 years, rusted through.  So, today I bought a battery cable clamp.  I changed it out this afternoon. Now that's done and one less thing to think about.

I do beed to put a squirt of Freon in the AC unit, but I'll get that done next week.

It's nice to know that when I turn the key on that old truck, it will fire up and do what is required for the mission of a pickup truck. I bought my first pickup truck in 1978, and I've had one ever since. I don't need a truck every day, but when I need one, nothing else will do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My only vehicles since 1984 have been two pick-ups and one Suburban. As you, my ride is a truck.

Anonymous said...

Amen brother. Sold my 2001 F150 for 500 bucks with a blown head gasket just a few months ago. Miss that truck. Prices on used ones are insane!

Old NFO said...

I miss having a pickup... sigh

Anonymous said...

If one can afford to have an extra vehicle
sitting around most of the time (the vehicle, tabs, insurance, maintenance and upkeep) a truck that is separate from their daily driver car or whatever is really nice to have.

I use mine for Home Depot/ hardware store runs and camping.