Sunday, August 19, 2018

The Powderhon Ranch Vaquero

I wrote about this earlier, and gun that I had won in a raffle.  Beautifully executed engraving by one of the masters of the craft.    I've tried to photograph it, but my photographic skills don't seem to be up to the task.

For the record, the revolver in question is a Ruger New Vaquero, in .45 Colt with the short-spur hammer.  It is entirely suitable for Cowboy Fast Draw.  Or any of the other Cowboy shooting sports.  The serial number reveals that is a -513- series, of new construction.  It is made of stainless steel and has rosewood grips.

Left side of the frame.  Of course, you an clink for lagter
The butt of the grip, with PHRR engraved.  The PowderHorn Ranch Regulators is a Cowboy Fast Draw Club.

The Top Strap, with beautiful scroll engraving.
I've been ogling it, admiring it s one would admire a piece of art.  Art is is, but I don't have a feeling of ownership.  It hasn't "spoken" to me yet.  And, it might not ever truly be mine.

I have sold exactly two guns in my lifetime.  And, I've regretted selling those guns.  But, I've given away a couple of dozen, and felt good about each and every one.    Of those guns I've given away, I feel like they went where they needed to be.

So, the question about this particular gun, is where does it need to be?  The PowderHorn Ranch Regulators is an old, venerable club from Mitchell South Dakota.  They have hosted the South Dakota State Championship for 15 years and this gun commemorates that.  The lady who called me hen I won it, Bonnie, told me that if I ever want to sell it, sh would like to make an offer.  I told her that I understood and that I would giver her first refusal.  That's only air.

Belle and I are considering options.  We have been entrusted with this revolver, and it falls to us to do the right thing.  The challenge is to find the proper place for this revolver and put it in the hands of people who will properly   It's a beautiful gun and I can appreciate the artwork, the craftsmanship and the sentiments that caused it to be created.  But, it's not truly mine, and it probably never will be.

Belle and I will ponder this for a while, and come up with a proper solution.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Pretty piece. And well done engraving, but no, that's not you.

Anonymous said...

I'd think on this a bit before you commit to action. You might think that someone close to you that you want them to remember you by might like this for themselves. Are there any club or family members whose eyes light up when they see it ?

Jonathan H said...

I agree - it is nice work but not my thing either.