Saturday, August 11, 2018

Boudin

Boudin (Boo-dahn) is a spicy Cajun sausage, mixed with rice, stuffed in casing, then boiled or smoked.  Every meat market down here makes boudin, and everyone's recipe is different.  Aficionados  can tell which market made the boudin simply by tasting.  It might have some chicken liver in the mix, or red pepper, or garlic, or other spices, but it's all boudin and it's all good 

Depending on your individual palate, some is better than others.  This morning, I was at Guillory's, our local Cajun market and the lady behind the counter offered me a taste of a new recipe they've been making.  This is a low-carb version.  No rice.  It's made with cauliflower.  I tried a taste and bought a pound-and-a-half (three links).


I heated it in the broiler to "crisp" the casing, then cut it up and put it out for the club shoot this morning.  A little something-something for them to sample.  "Cauliflower boudin, huh"  They'd look askance at it, then try a bite. 

Ten minutes later I was washing the cookie sheet.  I should have bought five pounds, but I doubt the end result (Me, washing the cookie sheet) would have been any different.

Cauliflower boudin is pretty darned good, and if you're on a low-carb diet, it's an option.

3 comments:

Old 1811 said...

When I saw your headline I expected a post about Kathy Boudin, of Weather Underground fame, who was convicted of murder and subsequently became a professor at Columbia University (and may still be there). I don't know if I'm disappointed or relieved.

Old NFO said...

That's a new one... Never heard of that particular substitution!

Peripatetic Engineer said...

It shouldn't be called boudin. The recipe should be protect similar to how the French protect products with their appellation control. And today I went to the store for some tasso and almost bought turkey tasso by mistake. Not what I wanted in my red beans.