Thursday, April 26, 2018

The Cimarron Model P

The Cimarron Model P came  in today.  The dealer called me and I went over after work to pick it up.

As the story goes, the president of Cimarron had a first-generation Colt in his collection.  He sent it to Uberti and asked if they could replicate it.  The result is what Cimarron calls the Model P.  I have to admit that it is a very pretty gun.


I admit that I like it, and Belle says that it is a pretty gun.   The bluing is nice and deep, and the color case hardened frame is nice as well.  The gun feels good in the hand.  A true Colt clone has the four-click hammer stroke, and all my Ubertis have it, but for some reason I can't find the C on this one.  It's like there is no safety notch.  That is not a deal-breaker, because I don't use the safety notch, but it is a bit odd.  The hammer goes back to the half-cock smoothly.

It's just a first impression, as it came out of the box an hour ago.  But, this seems like a very nice little pistol, and I'm sure that the club  will enjoy inspecting it.  It is a very  nice revolver, and destined to go into the competition bag.  It may not be an original Colt, but it cost about $1500 less than an original and the waiting time was less than a week.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

I’LL be curious to see how it holds up under use.

Unknown said...

The safety notch was removed as part of the Uberti retractable firing pin design and Cimarron is apparently sourcing Uberti revolvers with the retractable firing pin. I also purchased a Model P recently and noted the missing safety notch. I had to do some digging on the internet to find the information because neither the Uberti or Cimarron websites documentation have caught up with current hardware. I haven’t experienced any issues with mine so far but the round count is pretty low.