Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Sensitive Starbucks

I admit I was a bit confused about the brouhaha over Starbucks.  It seems two black men went in to a store, and didn't order anything.  The manager called police, and they were arrested.

Starbucks is closed today for sensitivity training.
The two men were exactly right: The right thing to do in Starbucks is not to order anything, because the coffee is disgusting. Starbucks' response, to be sure, was incommensurate with the problem: Rather than subject their employees to the ritual farce of sensitivity training, the company should spend money on high-quality coffee beans, and roast them lightly rather than burn them into acidic volcanic ash.
As I recall, the only time I ever drank a cup of Strbucks coffee was in New Orleans.  Belle and I were trouistiing there and came out of the hotel one morning to find a Starbucks.  I ordered a cup of black coffee, and they looked at me like I had lost my mind.  When I got my coffee, I was pretty sure it was the worst coffee I had ever tried to drink.  I poured it into a nearby pot plant and we walked three blocks to Cafe du Monde, where I got a proper cup of coffee.

It's fine if Starbucks wants to virtue-signal by giving all of it's employees training on how to deal with the people who walk in off the street.  But, they'd be better served by learning to brew a proper cup of coffee. 

6 comments:

BobF said...

Glad I'm not the only one. Had a cup of whatever it is they serve called "coffee" and got the same reaction from them. That stuff went straight onto the parking lot ground and the cup into the trash bin. Can't see how people can drink it. Come to think of it, they DON'T. They flavor it with everything under the sun and mask the taste of the base product.

Regarding the incident, one store makes a mistake and the whole company goes into apology-oh-my-God mode? That is sooooo left coast. They will break their backs apologizing and it will be interesting, and probably disgusting, to see their end game.

Oh, what I'd give for a local Cafe du Monde and and oyster bar with a good size crawfish boiler out back! A drive-through boudin place next door wouldn't hurt, either. (Hello from Floriduh.)

Anonymous said...

"...one store makes a mistake and the whole company goes into apology-oh-my-God mode? ...." Kinda like one person uses a hammer to kill someone, and we punish every carpenter. Wow, what a concept.

Dave said...

I'm not sure it was even a mistake, unless you're trying to be woke.

Person goes into a business, uses the restroom, doesn't buy anything, hangs around (quite probably mooching free wifi). Manager asks them to leave, they don't, manager calls cops. It's pretty basic trespassing - not leaving when asked by someone with authority over the property.

But because they're black, all of a sudden it's RAAACISSSST to ask them to leave. Nevermind that they'd probably do the same for a scruffy white homeless guy, or a couple of 'wiggers' trying to act all gangsta, or whatever.

Weetabix said...

I was just in NO for a few hours, but I couldn't get near Cafe du Monde.

As to Starbucks? It tastes horrible. My daughter teaches private students, and she receives her fair share of Starbucks gift cards. She doesn't drink coffee. Tried to give them to me. I wouldn't take them. I told her to give them to someone who doesn't know the difference.

Jonathan H said...

I've been in Starbucks a couple of times, but have made the point to never buy anything there (I was with people who did).

Steve Sky said...

@Dave - you got it, but didn't go far enough. It was a setup. Two blacks went in, didn't order anything, refused to leave, and when the police were called, "there just happened" to be someone who filmed the whole incident. There just happened to be a lawyer to scream "raaacist", and take the case. Now Starbucks needs to apologize and offer reparations for asking them to leave when they were trespassing.
Riiight.

I think that the "bake the cake" lawsuit has taught the left that they can stage incidents, and profit immensely from them.