Sunday, April 15, 2018

Income Taxes

The annual angst for the American working class.    Belle and I are comfortable, both drawing a small retirement from previous pensions, and still working stiff's punching the time clock every day.  We are comfortable.  But, doing the annual tax drill is quite an eye-opener. 

The amount of taxes I pay each year is more than my AGI for many years of my working life.  I recall one year in my early military career, where I made under $10K.  It was okay, we ate well, lived in government quarters, and had use of all the base facilities.

Today, the taxes I pay is enough to support a family of four somewhere.  I suspect that our numbers are not out of line with many semi-retired couples all over the country.    It's a damned shame.  We're supporting someone who does not work at all.

I did learn, just minutes ago, that Retired Military Pay is not taxable as income under the State of Louisiana's income tax scheme.  Yee-haw!  This is good news.  That single fact put me from the red column over into the green on the Turbo Tax review.  I'm getting refunds from both the Feds and from the State.  (Yeah, I know, it's nor really a refund, it's a tax-free loan).  But, still, we're getting a modest little refund that will help with a renovation we want to undertake soon.

The taxes are done, and that is another thing checked off my list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We sold some acreage off the old farm homestead last year. That land was my retirement fund.....I paid $45000 in taxes. Why do I have to pay inheritance taxes off land that I paid property tax on?

Steve

Old NFO said...

That's good news. At least you're not paying!