Monday, July 31, 2017

New Uniforms

The uniform store called today and said that my new uniforms were ready, so while I was running errands, I went to pick them up.  Thinking back this may the the first new issue I've had in six years.  I know it is the first new jacket I've had in ten years.  But, here in Louisiana we don't wear a jacket much, what with the glowball warmening and such.

Still, sorting them out, I noticed how "veteran" my old uniforms looked.    Tattered, faded,  and worn.  This new issue came with a vest carrier.  I bought my own three years ago, and love it.  But, holding the two side-by-side, I see that the first one is also faded and "veteran looking".   I've set it up with a spare badge and nameplate and I'll keep it as a spare, in case the new one gets soiled.  And, eventually, it will.

Our department uses the Blauer vest carrier, which holds the vest outside the shirt, and believe me, this is a much more comfortable way of wearing a vest than the old way of wearing it inside the uniform shirt.  And, the officer can retreat to a  safe space occasionally and take it off, cool off, and gather his wits.  The vest carrier also makes a bathroom emergency a whole lot more manageable.

The shirt that is worn underneath is a breathable mesh that is really nice.    Yet, all those parts that "poke out", like sleeves and collar, look just like a Class A shirt.  If you are a uniformed cop, and have to wear a vest every day, this is the most comfortable way I've found yet.

I go back to work next week, ad maybe I won't look so much like a homeless person impersonating a cop.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Glad y'all are finally getting some relief!