Sunday, January 15, 2017

Proof Of Concept

If you remember the post from Friday, we were playing with magnets.

Today, I found a box on my front porch, containing the sensor I had ordered.  And, the kids were over for lunch, so the boys and I repaired to the garage to see what we could cobble together.

We started with a common CFDA sensor that looks like this:

Then we mounted it to a little piece of lucite, and added magnets to hang it on the back of the target.  This thing is a piezo transducer that records hits on the target.  It's normally hard-mounted to the target, but I wanted to hard-mount it to a piece of metal or something.  My very capable sons decided that a small piece of lucite would be just the key, so in a few minutes we had cut a pice and mounted the magnets to the lucite and mounted the sensor box as well.

So, there is the sensor box and two magnets, mounted on a piece of lucite.  It's not very elegant, but it is a prototype, so we walked out to our range, got a small target, and decided to see how it would work.  It mounts cleanly on the back of the target.

So, nothing else would do but to hook it to the electronics and see if it works.  In the video below, the target is hard to see from the background, and it helps if they hit the target, but I feel like we had some fun and proved that the prototype works.

Yep, once you hit the target, the sensor works and we are able to get a time.  Now, all I have to do is get some better screws and we'll be ready to make some of these things.

I love it when a plan comes together.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

That appears to work nicely! :-)