Thursday, December 29, 2005

Hunting

Pawpaw went hunting with a buddy of his this morning. Junior and I have been hunting partners for about ten years now, and this was the first time I have been able to get away to do any hunting this year. My apologies to Junior. I'll try to do better in the future.

We went on some land that Junior has access to, a beautiful site along Little River in LaSalle Parish, LA. It is about 800 acres, give or take, and this morning Junior and I had it all to ourselves.



This view is from the end of the large slough, an old oxbow of Little River. This slough is about a mile long, and this perspective is about 200 yards from where we park the pickup. We are lucky that we are able to get to this land this late in the year. The land is subject to seasonal flooding. If you look at the picture, you can see last year's high water line in the trees along the slough.

No, we didn't kill anything. Junior saluted one doe that he has been watching this season, and I got the opportunity to fill my lungs with fresh air, get a little exercise, see some pretty country, and spend a couple of hours with a fine friend.

Not bad for a day's outing. We plan to do it again tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always come up with excuses myself. I actually haven't even got my first deer yet, unless you include the one I scored with a projectile that was well into the "over 14,000,000 grain class". I lost 3 windows and a driver side door.

Unfortunately, my mentor (uncle) lives in Virginia, and I in Maryland. Makes it a little tough to get together.

Anonymous said...

I saw that picture and was sure you were duck hunting!
There is nothing better for the soul than time in the woods.