Monday, December 12, 2005

Arnold makes the decision.

I notice that Governor Schwarzenegger has decided to let Tookie Williams launch into eternity. So be it.

As a Christian, and as a human being, I hope that Williams has redeemed himself with his works in these past 24 years. Everyone deserves a chance to change. I can't judge his redemption, nor can I judge the state of his soul. Those questions are properly left to God.

What I can judge is his actions. Tookie Williams took four lives, and as far as I have seen, has never shown remorse for those four people. He wrote some books, and decried the gang culture that he helped found. No rational person can look at the evidence of the case and believe with a reasonable doubt that Williams is innocent of four counts of murder. His case is precisely why we have a death penalty.

The evidence and trial were conducted correctly. The jury imposed the sentence based not on the soul of Tookie Williams, but on the evidence in the case. We judge evidence in this country, not people. Twelve people decided that Williams is guilty and should pay with his life. Each of the several courts who have looked at the evidence have agreed with the jury. Governor Schwarzenegger agrees with the jury. So be it.

If my faith is correct, Tookie Williams will soon have an opportunity to plead his case yet again. The judge of souls will try him in the balance. I hope his redemption is complete. May God have mercy on his soul.

I hope everyone of you has a Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

oyster said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year's, Paw Paw.

Kelly(Mom of 6) said...

Wow. That was exactly what I felt about that case. I'm glad you had the words to express it so clearly. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too!