Monday, July 27, 2026

AC Update

 I built my shop during the winter of 2017-18.  Before I even poured the slab, I found two air conditioners on sale at Lowe's.  Big, 18,000 BTU units that I stored until construction began.  When the contractor asked me about cooling, I took out those two AC units and told him to frame around them.  He did and that set the physical size of the cooling for the sop.  Luckily, the units I bought originally were fairly large.

Last year, one of those units died a gurgling death.  I shopped around and found a unit that I could stab into the same hole.  Very convenient.  We were able to slide the old one out, do a little measuring and decided that the new unit, case and all, would fit in the available hole.  Slid that sumbitch in and plugged it to the outlet.

Yesterday, the second original AC unit died.  Something came loose and we thought it was going to jump out the wall.  We have shut it down.  In just a few minutes I am headed to the lumber yard and find another AC unit.  The interweb shows that they have the same unit I bought last year, which I know will fit The challenge is that I mounted those units high, 6.5 feet off the ground.  I'm going to need a couple of stout fellows to help me lift that thing into the hole.

No comments: